So You Want To Be In Musicals?
An insider’s guide to achieving that dream career – by one of the brightest stars in musical theatre.
Being in a West End or Broadway musical is the dream of thousands of talented performers. But competition is intense and reaching the spotlight can often require a leap into the dark. So You Want To Be In Musicals? is your comprehensive guide to building – and sustaining – a successful career in musical theatre, and introduces you to everything you need to know about:
- Training – how to select a drama school, what to do to get in, and what to do once you’re there
- Auditioning – how to choose and prepare your pieces, and foster a positive attitude towards auditions
- Rehearsing – how to construct your character, work with the director, and develop your own creative process
- Performing – how to deal with nerves, what to do as an understudy, and how to sustain that eight-show-a-week routine
- Working – how to get an agent, how to market yourself effectively, and how to maintain a healthy body and mind
Along with a wealth of honest, straightforward advice, the book is packed with instructive anecdotes from Ruthie’s own glittering career.
'A god-send... I wish this book had been around when I was at drama school - it actually gives you great advice on what to do and the attitude to take if you want to make it in this glamorous business known as show... an excellent read from cover to cover'Musical Theatre Review
'A comprehensive and cogent insight into the world [Ruthie Henshall] knows inside out... The book intersperses cautionary tales from her illustrious career with invaluable advice on training, auditioning and how to conduct yourself in rehearsals once you've landed the job. After more than 25 years' experience on both sides of the Atlantic, Henshall very evidently knows what she is talking about'The Stage
'A must for fans and aspiring performers alike'broadwayworld.com
'Helpful and informative'British Theatre Guide