Nick Hern Books takes your privacy seriously. We do not collect personally identifying information from you except when you specifically provide it, and we protect the information we receive. With your consent we may gather personal information from you through website sales, competitions, feedback forums and newsletter subscriptions. We do not share your information with third parties without obtaining your consent first. Please read below for a further explanation of the information we gather and how we use it.
How we use your personal data
We may at certain times ask you to supply us with some personal information. These instances are outlined and explained below. We will not use your name or email address for any purpose other than as stated.
- Sales through this website: When you make a purchase through this website, we will require personal information from you – such as your name, postal address, email address and contact telephone number – for the purpose of processing and fulfilling your sales order. We will collect, hold and process that information including passing such elements of this information on to third parties as is necessary for that purpose. We will also retain information relating to your sales history so that you can check your own order history in the My Account section of this website, unless you request otherwise. Payment transactions are handled, at your discretion, by either PayPal or WorldPay, and we do not collect or store any payment card details, except in particular circumstances at your request.
- Email newsletters: If you register to be sent information about our authors, titles or events by subscribing to one of our newsletters, we will ask you for some personal information (name and email address) in order to provide you with the service you are requesting. This information will be processed on our behalf by MailChimp, our chosen email marketing service. You can unsubscribe from this service at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Performing rights applications and enquiries: If you apply to us for performing rights to one of our plays, or enquire about any of our titles, including the availability of performing rights, we will require personal information from you – such as your name, postal address, email address and contact telephone number – as well as details of the company performing the play, in order to process your application, handle your enquiry, or make enquiries on your behalf. We retain this information in order to contact you regarding your enquiry or licence, to supply you with any licence we may subsequently issue, and as a record of your application. We will not pass on this information to anyone else, other than as required for the purposes of issuing a licence, and will not use it to send you marketing communications unless you agree that we may do so. You can check what details we hold for you by contacting the Performing Rights Manager, and can ask for those details to be amended or, after the period covered by the licence, removed from our system.
- Competitions: When you enter a competition or prize draw run by Nick Hern Books, we may ask for your name, email address and postal address so that we can contact you in the event that you win. We will not pass on this information to anyone else, and will not use it to send you marketing communications unless you agree that we may do so.
- Feedback, Comments and User Reviews: If you wish to leave feedback, comments or reviews on our Plays to Perform site, www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/plays-to-perform, you will need to register with Disqus, our chosen comment hosting service. Registration information will not be disclosed and is for security purposes. You can view or update your personal information or unsubscribe from this service at any time by logging into your Disqus account here. You should be aware that if you do disclose personal information in the comments sections or forums, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. By contributing to comments sections or forums, you should remember that you are legally liable for the material you post, including libel and copyright infringement.
Storage, correction and disclosure of personal data
We will retain the data we hold concerning you for as long as it is necessary to do so. We do not pass your data onto third parties unless you have given us your express consent or we are required to do so by law.
Should you discover any inaccuracies in your personal information, please update your details in the My Account section of this website. If you no longer wish for us to hold your data, please email email@example.com and we will remove you from our records.
Removing your email address
If you wish to opt out of receiving marketing communications from Nick Hern Books, you can do so by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any marketing email you receive from us, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cookies are electronic tags that most websites place on your computer in the process of sending your computer a file, such as a web page. We use them as well. A cookie can tell us when a computer that has previously visited our site returns, and what pages it requests on each of its visits. Cookies help us keep track of how our visitors (or more accurately, their computers) use our site, including such things as the type of browser they use, the frequency of their visits and the pages that are most popular. They can help smooth your travel through our site by keeping track of information that has already been provided by your computer so that you do not need to re-enter it.
Security of private information
We take all reasonable steps to protect the information you provide us with from theft, alteration or unauthorised inspection.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of personal data, please contact us at email@example.com, or tel. 020 8749 4953.