How to Make Immersive Theatre
A practical guide to creating successful immersive theatre productions, by an experienced theatre-maker and practitioner.
Placing the audience at the heart of a production – not as passive bystanders but as active participants – is the impetus behind the hugely varied work of leading immersive theatre companies such as Punchdrunk, OneOhOne and Hobo Theatre. Done well, it can generate powerful, gut-level emotional effects that will long outlast the production itself.
Creating Worlds offers a step-by-step breakdown of the entire journey towards making an immersive theatre production, and covers everything you need to consider, including:
- Deciding what kind of production you want to make, and the ‘mission statement’ for your piece
- Understanding and anticipating audience behaviour
- Planning and influencing journeys through the space
- Balancing interaction with narrative
- Giving your audience an active role, and navigating the thin line between free will and uncontrolled chaos
- Managing complex rehearsals, and preparing your cast for the unexpected
- Extending the audience experience outside of the performance
- Generating innovative ideas and tactics for marketing your production
Throughout the book, Jason Warren draws on his own experiences of creating immersive theatre work in a variety of styles and settings. Also included is a glossary of key terms, and a schedule to help you make the most of your rehearsal period.
An essential how-to guide for theatre-makers, artists, students and teachers who want to create their own immersive theatre, Creating Worlds is also a fascinating read for those interested in the inspirations and ideas that fuel the performances they love.
Blog Post: Jason Warren on the rich opportunities for those working in immersive theatre: ‘The joy of working in this field is that there is so much left to discover… my aim with this book is to help you craft your own beliefs on what makes good immersive theatre – and to create responsive and rich worlds of your own.’ Read more >>
'A valuable guide… the advice given is judicious and constructive'Word Matters - Journal of the Society of Teachers of Speech and Drama
'Jason Warren's exceptional introduction to the world of immersive theatre creation is an essential starting point. This book is a must have for any drama library… a brilliant guidebook that simplifies terminology for students and makes the impossible seem possible'Teaching Drama Magazine