The Nick Hern Books website is now closed for orders from today (Friday 18 December) until Monday 4 January.
Please note that, as our office is now closed for Christmas, your order will not be processed until we return on Monday 4 January. If you require your books more urgently, please try an alternative retailer. Otherwise, place your order and we'll dispatch it as soon as we can when we return.
Happy Christmas from all at NHB!
The nominations for the Writers' Guild Awards were announced today (7 December), with NHB authors represented across a number of categories.
Temple by Steve Waters is shortlisted for Best Play. This engrossing drama, first seen at the Donmar Warehouse in May 2015 in a production starring Simon Russell Davies, is a fictional account of the 2011 Occupy London protests at St Paul's Cathedral. It was praised by the Telegraph as 'a triumph... a riveting drama that unpicks the institutional and psychological turmoil the saga caused'.
Laura Lomas' hard-hitting Bird is nominated for Best Play for Young Audiences. A cutting-edge monologue that throws light on the experience of a teenager in contemporary Britain, Bird centres on fourteen-year-old Leah, who begins to unpick the nature of her current relationship when waiting up for her boyfriend to call. The play premiered at Derby Theatre in October 2014, before touring the UK. The Stage called it '[a] beautifully crafted monologue with rich theatrical texture'.
Laura Lomas is also nominated for Best Radio Drama for her BBC Radio 4 play Fragments.
NHB writers swept the playwriting categories at the Writers' Guild Awards 2015, with James I from Rona Munro's trilogy The James Plays taking home the prize for Best Play, and Girls Like That by Evan Placey winning Best Play for Young Audiences. The winners of 2016 Awards will be announced at a ceremony at RIBA, London, on 18 January 2016.
Love theatre? Then this is the perfect Christmas prize draw for you. We've partnered with Theatre Tokens, the UK's biggest national theatre gift voucher scheme, to offer theatre-lovers the chance to win a massive prize worth £1000.
- great new reads for theatre-lovers including BBC Radio 4 Book of the Week pick Year of the Fat Knight by Antony Sher, Being a Dancer by Lyndsey Winship and Conversations with Miller by Mel Gussow
- scripts from top London play premieres such as Game by Mike Bartlett, hang by debbie tucker green, Mr Foote's Other Leg by Ian Kelly and Roald Dahl's The Twits by Enda Walsh
- essential practical guides including The Active Text, Surviving Actors Manual, and Secrets of Stage Success by West End stars Louise Dearman and Mark Evans
- Edinburgh Fringe hits such as Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons, Ross & Rachel and The Solid Life of Sugar Water
- scripts by the brilliant Caryl Churchill including her National Theatre play premiere Here We Go, and new editions of A Number, The Skriker and more
The festive season is upon us once again, and with it the scary prospect of finding another round of presents for all those people in your life – even the really difficult ones to buy for.
But if they love theatre, then look no further: we have hundreds of great Christmas reads for theatre-lovers to choose from, right here. And we've even got a fantastic offer as a special present for you, too.
From today, 1 December, until 12pm (noon) on Friday 18 December, all Nick Hern Books titles are available at 25% off via our website.
For more information, visit the Christmas Sale page here.